A quirky and gorgeous little hotel in a beautiful part of the Cotswolds. Unfortunately, our visit was plagued with problems. Firstly, we've received better service and more 'fuss' made about us from other hotels, but nothing special here, aside from a plate saying 'congratulations' at dinner, which was a thoughtful touch. This wouldn't have been such an issue if it wasn't our honeymoon, which the hotel were well aware of, and we were hoping to be made to feel a bit more special. Next the air conditioning unit/heater in our cottage room was broken. The heating had been turned off as it was May, the air con couldn't be fixed and the only alternative offered was a portable heater which we chose not to make use of. Then there were no instructions on how to use the gas fire, which was not at all self explanatory, and looked as if it hadn't been cleaned in a long time, so not sure it would have been safe! The person on the floor above us used their open fireplace, causing them to set off the fire alarm at 3am, leaving the one Night Porter in the main building to try and scramble to figure out what was going on. What was most alarming was that the fire alarm was going off for some time, and no-one in the main house knew anything was amiss. We gathered outside, walked up to the main hotel, but couldn't get in as the doors were locked. Hammered on the window and door until eventually the only member of staff heard us, and when he opened the door he was unaware that the fire alarm was going off. This is extremely unsafe, and without being dramatic, had there been a real fire, we feel we could easily have perished! It took over an hour of standing around until the alarm in our block had been fixed, needless to say not what we wanted on the last night of our honeymoon weekend. The hotel staff blamed the alarm going off on the person above us "not adequately ventilating the room after using the fire, and drawing the curtains". However we felt that this was unprofessional, and also having an open fire ourselves we are well aware that it is not usual practice to need to fling the windows open after using and let all the heat out! There should not be any smoke in the room if the fireplace and chimney have been maintained properly, which again led us to wonder if it had not been, which could again be a health and safety risk! There were plenty of other little niggles, the room was nice but was a little run down in places, and alongside the aforementioned problems we didn't feel it was worth the luxury price tag. Despite all of this we got no real apology when we checked out - in fact they tried to tack an additional service fee to our bill. It was a pleasant stay overall, but not the luxury experience we'd hoped for. I'm sure plenty of people have a great time here, but we found it memorable for the wrong reasons...